There are so many benefits to trying a Disco Barre class, but here are the main ones.
- Makes you stronger: The isometric contractions that make up the bulk of a barre class occur when the muscle tenses without changing length. What’s wonderful about the one-inch movements is that you can hold a posture and benefit from continuously engaging the muscle, but you also get a mini-recovery with each pulse, so you can stay in the hold longer.
- Improves posture. As a Level 3 Pilates teacher, I am constantly analysing your alignment throughout the class and making corrections. After even one class, clients report they stand taller and are far more aware of any postural issues and are able correct themselves. Over time, it becomes second nature.
- Targets multiple muscle groups at once. It’s a highly efficient workout since you’re doing two to four movements—holding, pulsing, stretching—at a time in each move. Working all these areas at once also helps raise the heart rate.
- Improves mind and body concentration: The smaller movements in a barre class can bring a new level of awareness to the body that you don’t get in regular strength workouts. Barre can improve muscular activation for frequently underused muscles by strengthening the neuromuscular (mind-body) connection.
- Protects joints. The phrase "works muscles I never knew existed" is often heard after a class. That's because we also focus on the small muscles that surround the joints, thus supporting them and preventing injury. It's also low impact, so no pressure is put on them.
- Core strength: The beauty of working at the barre is that you engage your core the entire time – so even if you are working the arms or thighs, you are always engaging, and therefore strengthening, the core as well. A strong core can increase your performance in all other activities in your life and Time Out London believe Disco Barre has the toughest ab section around.
- Improves flexibility: Stretches are a major part of the session done at the end of each interval, so the muscles are elongated, bulk is reduced and therefore balance and alignment are achieved.
- Increases bone health: Your muscles get stronger and the constant tension and resistance placed on them has an effect on bones that makes them stronger, which is key to warding off osteoporosis with age.
- It's fun. You won't hear any cheese at Disco Barre, but an eclectic mix of disco, house and boogie and the surprise hit. So this helps when faced with challenging exercises. Each class is different, so you'll never get bored.